Tuesday, January 15, 2013

One Check in the Bucketlist

2012 for me was a year of financial awareness. I learned more about savings, stocks, and other financial instruments. I also tried (hard!) to live within my means, to save enough funds for the rainy day, and to reduce my spending. And I'm still trying. I am now credit card debt-free and it feels great! I know my RFP instructors will be so proud.

I mentioned in my first post about my reasons for saving. The first item is to get my own car by 2013. And I guess all those savings and investments worked, because I'm buying a car!!! Well, we are. My significant other and I. This is our first huge purchase.

We're getting Mitsubishi Mirage and I can't even express how excited we are. The car even has a name! It will be called Jason (as in Jason Mirage. Get it?) Another option is Nicki, but we're not big of a fan. After we gave our reservation and signed some documents last Saturday, we cannot stop talking about it. We even told our parents! It feels like we're having a baby!


Looking back, I'm just really thankful that I chose to focus on financial education. I made some mistakes, but I also made money out of it. It certainly was not easy, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm looking forward to my driving class so that I'll be ready when the car arrives, and I swear, I'll do anything just to get through that 5-year amortization. Here's to that first check in the bucket list! 

5 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Congrats! Your first car is always a milestone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! You really need cars in Manila. I'm glad I don't need them here in Beijing and renting a car is cheap. :)

    ReplyDelete