Monday, December 3, 2012

Of Wedding or Something Like That

My boyfriend and I have been together for seven years. Nope, he hasn't formally asked me "the question" yet. although I wish he will, sooner than later. Sometimes I can't stand the pressure from everyone from my mom to my boss.

When I was a bit younger, I imagined my wedding to be grand. Not as grand as Princess Diana's, but let's just say that I have some suppliers in mind and they are not cheap. But as I grow older, priorities changed. As much as I want a fancy wedding, I also want to have our own house.

To have both decent wedding and start-up fund for our house (and, yeah,  a car), we've decided last January to save a portion of our salary every payday. At first, it was easy. But it gets challenging every month. On top of that wedding fund, we also have our own family to support. It's hard because there was a change of lifestyle. For instance, we now have a budget for our weekly dates. We used to have massage-dinner-movie in one night. But ever since we set the budget, we rarely do all three - and if we do, that means we get to eat at food court (and personally, I don't like eating there. Maarte lang!) And we also avoid 3D movies because it's expensive. Aside from saving, we also have our little sideline. Being both accountants, we do financial projections for MBA students (it doesn't earn much but money is money.)

I felt a sense of accomplishment when I was checking our so-called wedding fund last weekend.  Aside from being on track, we were actually shy of 8% above target (thank you, mutual funds!) This year maybe financially challenging because of all those saving, but honestly, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Now only if he'll just pop the question.

I'm not being choosy or anything, but I'm good with something like this. =D
Photo Source



No comments:

Post a Comment