Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Beginning

Cliché as it may seems, I want to document my so-called “road to financial fitness.” I'm not so sure when did this realization began, but one day I just wake up and realize that I am not getting any younger (another cliché) and that I need to take control of my finances. I mean, who will manage it except for me? (Though, yeah, I could hire a financial planner, but it’s a shame since I’m an accountant and I really am capable of handling this on my own, thank-you-very-much.)


I was not born rich, but my parents worked hard (and still working) to give us a good life. I’m not saying that we are now rich. No. But this is way better than twenty years ago.
Now, I’m almost on my thirties. Sure, I have some investments of my own. I also know about emergency funds and that you should not spend more than you earn, but I guess I want more. The best things in life might be free, but I still believe that money is important (if not, then I won't think of it a lot.)
So here I am.

But what are my reasons for saving? Well, I want to accomplish some things, 5 years from now:
1. To have my own car by next year.
I have to admit that riding a bus is the cheapest way to go home from the office. But I hate riding buses. I hate it with every fiber of my being. It’s so crammed with commuters and I don’t like standing while my life depends on the driver in front. Plus, I sometimes feel violated. I rode a bus one time and it’s packed with people, as usual. The guy behind me was so close. So close that I felt something “hard”. I don’t want to elaborate on that, but it’s enough to make me squirm. I feel so dirty (not in a good way) afterwards. Hence, I want my own car. Not necessarily an expensive one (a Vios will do). I just want a safe ride home.
2. To get married in two years (that is, if my bf proposes)
Again, I’m close to 30. I want to get married and have a family. Gone were the days when the guy (and his family) is the only one who spends for the wedding. And who says getting married is cheap? Ok, I know some will say you can make it cheap, but you still got to have some monetary outlays at some point. And besides, I want to make it a memorable one. After all, you get married only once (well, ok, many will refute that, but I want to marry once. End of story.)
3. To have my (our, if I get married) own house in five years.
I don’t want to rent forever (we used to rent before, but thank goodness, we had our own house when I was in third grade). I also don’t want to live in a condominium either. I want my own garden. I want something that I can call my home which is not inside a tall building.
I guess those really are my target (at least for now). And in doing that, I really need to handle my finances well. I mean REALLY, REALLY WELL. So this means lesser spending and more saving and investing. 
So help me God. Please.

2 comments:

  1. So nice to see another financial blog written by a fellow hot chick ;-)

    Adding you up on my blog roll! And thanks so much for your tip on SDAs, will definitely look that up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks, Jill! Appreciate it. I'm still new into this blogging stuff, let's see how this will work. :)

      Delete