Sunday, August 26, 2012

Money Mistake #1

I was a loyal prepaid Globe subscriber ever since I got my first cellphone, which was the trusty Nokia 3110. Technology has changed, as well as my cellphone, but I'd remained prepaid. One of the things I like most was the fact that I can control my expenses. I was ok with a Php 300 load for a month or Php 500 during Christmas and January, my birthday month (because that's the time I receive many greetings.)

That's until my boyfriend got his iPhone 4s. He was so happy with his cellphone because it's so "smart" (what can you expect from a smart phone?) He then told me to get myself one. "Why?" I asked him. Where he answered, "Because you deserve it. AND you don't want to call me because of you load limitations and for that you always ask me for a pasa-load" Noted.




This got me thinking. I deserve it. I think. I've been using my pink cellphone (sorry, after my 3110, I stopped monitoring the Nokia models) for so long. The color had faded, though it's still in good working condition. It's also an effective alarm clock and the FM radio's not bad. I can't surf the net though because it will take me a long time to log-in (and by that time, I have a good Php 15 off my load balance.) Besides, I've been working so hard for the past 7 years, I feel I deserve something techie to call my own.

My super old cellphone
And so, I bought an iPhone 4s with Globe's Plan 1,800. And oh, to protect my newly-acquired gadget, I also bought an Otterbox casing worth around Php 2K+. Sweet!

I really like it, alright. My favorite app so far are Kobo and Instagram (although I'm not one of those people who take food pictures.) However, I realized that I really don't need it and a Php 1,800 per month plan is too much. I'm not having a difficulty paying for it, but I think it would be better if I just got a lower plan (perhaps Php 800) then put the extra Php 1,000 either in mutual funds or in my emergency fund.

The lesson here is to know what I want and what I need. I need a plan, not a cellphone, especially if that cellphone is an iPhone 4s. I just got it last May. I know there's a 2-year bond or something, but is there a way to switch to a lower plan while you're still under contract?


P.S.
Anyway, I think I should not listen to my bf anymore. Remember CAL? 



2 comments:

  1. I don't think you can switch to a lower plan, but Globe will allow you to bump your plan higher. You're fairly stuck with your current plan for the next 2 years, sad to say :(

    I have the plan 800 myself and personally I think it's too much for my lifestyle because I don't text or call a lot. But since it's a flexi plan, a huge chunk of my monthly allotment goes to web surfing for Twitter updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. Thanks, Jill. I thought so too. I'll just wait for the next two years then.

    ReplyDelete